Fines and Fees
Overdue fines are automatically posted by the library system. If an item is not renewed/returned within 14-days, a fine is posted to patron’s account. Overdue fines are listed as follows:
- Books: $5.00 overdue charge per book after the 14 day grace period
- Recalled materials: $1.00 per item, per hour and $5.00 per item per day, for overdue recalled material.
- Black Studies’ Books: $2.00 per day, per item
- 2 hours loan Reserves, patron is charged $2.00 per hour per item for every hour overdue
- 24 hours loan reserves, patron is charged $2.00 per hour per item for every hour overdue
- bound journals, older reference materials, microfilm and microfiche in the ROVER system, patrons are charged $2.00 per hour per item for every hour overdue
Please note that fines for overdue reserves mount quickly.
Unpaid fines will accrue additional fees. All fines should be paid in person or mailed to the Chicago State University, Bursar’s office, Cook Administration Bldg. Room 212, 9501 South King Dr., Chicago, IL 60628. Cash, money order, check, and credit cards are all accepted. Overdue fines will be applied throughout the year; holidays, interims, etc., until items are returned or fines paid. Books that are 31 days overdue are considered lost. Lost book fees are $65.00 per book; this amount is based on the average cost to replace a book. Processing fee for lost books is $10.00 per book, and will be assessed to patron’s account. Patron is also responsible for damaged material; the library will assess the cost of damage for repairs or replacements.
Outstanding debts and overdue materials from any lending library or through interlibrary loan can restrict patron privileges until debt or overdue notices are resolved.
Failure to properly deal with outstanding debts may cause the library to place restrictions on borrower’s ID. This will affect borrower’s privilege to register, obtain transcripts or diplomas.
- If your borrowing privileges have been suspended due to unpaid fees, or non-returned items please return all items to the Circulation Desk, so that the suspension can be lifted. Please allow 48 hours for the removal of blocks from your library records.
- Any fines and fees that are charged to you by I-Share or other institutions must be paid directly to the respective institution. The Circulation Desk staff will assist you in identifying the lending institution and items in question
- If you feel that you have been billed in error, present your situation to the staff member at the Circulation Desk. You are encouraged to speak with Ms. Leathea Williams, Circulation Supervisor, 773.995.2483, for immediate discussion of the situation.
- Notify the Circulation Desk staff as soon as possible when you damage or lose a book. You might not be charged for minor damage to CSU books. Damage to books from other institutions will be assessed by the owning institution.